Thursday, 25 June 2020

Thinking about a vacation...off the boat.

Ok, so my month in Titusville is nearing an end...my new dodger will be ready this weekend and my new lifelines will be finished tomorrow.  The best piece of news I have is that I figured out how the custom lazy jacks that used to be on this boat worked and I bought new shock cords and installed them myself and they work great!
But....I have news.  I am thinking about leaving my boat here in Titusville and going on vacation for a month or two.  The reasons for considering this now are:
1.  I have been on this boat for 10 months without a break.  
2.  It's HOT and the humidity is killing me.  
3.  Hurricane season is just around the corner.  I've called every boatyard in South Florida (and 2 in the Bahamas) to prebook a hurricane haulout if needed and everyone is booked.  As it so happens I am already at one of the best Marinas in Florida for hurricane protection (in boating terms a "hurricane hole".). It's fairly cheap here and they do a good job of watching the docks.  I won't haulout, but my slip is in a great spot and I can come and go as I please (no liveaboard fee).
4. When I come back in September I can work my way to key west....then when hurricane season ends work my way to Grenada.
So...now I just need to decide where to go!